Karbon brings all things related to your work, together in one place. It does so through five components: overview header, timelines, tasks, time and details. All are available on each and every piece of work in Karbon. They are defined as:
- Overview header: The work title, associated client, status, owner, start date, due date, and current task completion.
- Timeline: No matter what has been said or who has said it (internally or externally) on a project, the timeline brings it all together in one view, in chronological order (most recent first). Communications appear on the timeline when assigned to the piece of work within Triage, or when creating notes within the piece of work directly.
- Tasks: The checklist of tasks that need to be completed for the project to be successfully delivered.
- Time: If your practice has enabled an integration with TSheets, this will show all time activities associated with the project.
- Details: The work description, associated work type, the work team members with activities and access, and all documents associated with the piece of work (most recent first).
The overview details for work are created when you create new work. Upon creation, you can specify the work template, work title, work type, work owner, associated client, start date, due date, and work description. They can be edited at any time by just clicking directly on the displayed text in Karbon.
Upon creating the new piece of work, you will be presented the work header (overview) and shown the associated timeline. Explore the full details of the project by clicking the tabs below the work header (timeline, tasks and details).
The timeline for a piece of work is populated with all communications added to the work from Triage, as well as any notes taken and associated with the piece of work. Any email that is added to work will have all its subsequent communications (replies) automatically added to the work timeline. Thus, threads of communications are always added to the right timeline to minimize the effort required to manage work.
If speaking to a client, contact or colleague about a given piece of work, it is best to capture the conversation as a note directly in the timeline, to eliminate the steps to associate the note to the appropriate timeline.
For most practitioners, checklists are heavily used so that work can be completed on-time and at quality without missing a step. The tasks tab within a piece of work is the place where those checklists reside.
You can create ad-hoc task lists, copy task lists from other pieces of work, and have pre-created task lists when creating a piece of work from a work template. Check out more by reading the task list and work template articles.
To view the time tab, you will need to initiate a connection with TSheets. Before doing this, we recommend reviewing our TSheets integration setup guide. To initiate the connection, click on Practice settings from the main menu, then Connections > TSheets. Once completed, the time tab will appear and allow you to view existing time entries as well as create new ones. These time entries will be available and synced between both Karbon and TSheets.
The details tab holds all the remaining information for the piece of work. This includes information captured when the work was created like work description and work type. Two additional sections exist: Work team and Recent documents. The work team is displayed based on who has had involvement in the timeline (notes and emails), tasks (any assigned to a team member), and/or a team associated via the privacy settings (see privacy for more details). Recent documents shows all documents that were attached to communications attached the piece of work’s timeline as well as any documents that were uploaded directly to the project.
Best Practice tip:
- Create work in bulk across your clients: Create work templates for any standardized processes you have for work and drop a note in Help & Feedback to let us know you’d like to import work. We’ll need the exact names of the work template, the exact names of the clients for whom you want add the work, start date, due date and assignee. If you’d like us to schedule the work weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc., let us know and we can do this as well.